Wednesday 9 July 2014

5 Audio Teaching Strategies

1) Audiobooks - There is a teacher within my school division who has the books that her class is reading as an audiobook as well for individuals who are unable to read.

2) Livescribe - I had a professor in university who would record his lessons on a livescribe pen, which would record his markings on the paper as well as the audio for students to follow along with the lessons afterwards if they required.


3) Songs - Students in math class were asked to create some sort of "art" for a unit of study. Within this unit, some students took it upon themselves to create a parody of a song which is devoted to their topic. This was not my math class, unfortunately, but it still seemed like a fun activity! The students recorded the audio and presented it to the class.

4) Book Review - Instead of having students write a book report, some teachers in my school have converted to allowing their students to hand in an audio-version of their review.

5) YakiToMe (or other Text-To-Speech tool) - This can be used with non-verbal students to still communicate with others within the class or elsewhere. This can be used for presentations in front of the class for, say, History. The student can create the audio at home, and then perform the actions in front of the class to tell a full story.

You can find a lot more different ideas (and tips) in the following document: Click Here

3 comments:

  1. Tyson, I love the idea of YakItToMe. We have been mulling over different options for students with learning disabilities/anxiety issues at my school, and I think that this would be a great resource for these students in particular when they are required to present/do anything orally. Have you personally used it? If so, how did you find the learning curve? Were the students receptive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, YakItTo Me is fantastic. I use audio to text tools for about 80% of the comments in this course (and the other courses I teach online). I tend to use my tablet or iphone often to check forums and blog posts. It is more efficient to offer feedback and ask questions through audio. Tyson and Chris, would you allow the use of audio in your classroom for any student, as a Universally Designed tool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never personally used it in my classroom, but I would be very open to it. I know TakiToMe is only one of many options available for a text-to-speech program. I haven't looked at applications for mobile devices, but I'm sure there is a free option somewhere that would work a lot quicker for students (as most if not all have a phone now-a-days).

    ReplyDelete

About Me